Monday, October 27, 2008

So About That Blog Thing

Yeah yeah, it's been like a million years since I've posted. Lots of reasons.
  • Pretty depressing to see all those talented youngsters get sent to Grand Rapids for another year, or more. Who knows what a year will bring in their development. You've got Jimmy Howard and Daniel Larsson eating into each other's minutes, you've got Jonathon Ericsson and Ville Leino, both legit Calder candidates if they were here, toiling in Western Michigan. All the while, Lilja and Samuelsson remain. I wept.
  • Haven't been able to see many games. Various feeds of varying quality are all I've got at the moment. It remains to be seen if I'll pony up for NHL Center Ice. Actually no, I won't.
  • I know this becoming a mantra around here, but grad school, as it turns out, is a bit of a commitment. On the other hand, did you know 'muzungu' is Lugandan for 'white person'?
But all this having been said, here's my take on the Wings lately.
  • So, uh, what the fuck is up with the defense? I told you we should have traded Lebda and Lilja. I haven't seen enough games to determine if they're the problem, but I'm going to assume they are, because that makes me feel the best.
  • Not sold on the Conkblock. He's been solid at times and all over the place at others. At least one weak goal against St. Louis.
  • Franzenstein down again. WTF. Couple of silver linings though: one, we might get to see Ville Leino alongside Val Filppula. Two, at the rate Franzen and Mars Hossa are scoring, there is no way we will be able to keep them both. None. And, if this cap goes down, as I read was possible on some Snapshots-linked article, it's not a guarantee we keep either. So this may sound awful, but the bright side is that the injury will diminish Mule's numbers. Yeah basically awful.
  • Holmstrom is leading the Wings in goals. Hossa is leading in points. The Wings' best player? The guy in between. 8 assists, +7, working magic as always. He is the proverbial straw that stirs the proverbial drink. I read the ESPN award predictions a while ago and as for the Selke there were a few votes for Hank, a few for other people. None for Dats. Uhh. Easily the most underrated player in the league. I'm thinking about changing this blog to Datsyuk Is God.
That's all for now. Should catch the Kings game and I'll see if I can shirk responsibility long enough to lend you all my thoughts.